Saturday, December 31, 2011

Everyone Needs an Apron

Finally, I can post my Christmas gift projects. The last ones were gifted yesterday at a wonderful lunch with my two dearest friends. So now the cat can be let out of the bag, so to speak.
This year I decided to make aprons. I have the philosophy that everyone needs an apron. I also have the philosophy of getting rid of the tons of bizarre fabric I have that I can't find any other use for. That fabric worked perfectly for aprons.
The stash of patterns in my sewing area yielded a pattern for aprons, but it wasn't quite what I pictured. After scouring the Internet for a pattern, and not finding exactly what I envisioned, I did what I should have done in the first place...I created my own pattern.
The apron I had in mind needed to be workable for both men and women, and above all, be simple in design and construction.
My cousin made an apron in home ec class over 30 years ago, that I somehow ended up with and still use. (remember home ec?)That old home ec apron was the closest to my vision, so it became the guide.
Old newspaper became the pattern paper and cutting and construction began. 
No pictures were taken during this process. (Too much concentration on the design to remember to get the camera).
Oven repair man in background
However, a photo was taken of each of the aprons created. The apron gallery is posted throughout this blog entry.
Overall, I am happy with the results. The apron that developed was a simple design and easy to make. The entire time spent on one apron from cutting through completion was about an hour.
The pattern is so simple that adding embellishment wouldn't take much effort. Maybe that will be my next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment