Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pioneer Macaroni and Cheese

I have mentioned my great-grandmother's 1950 Betty Crocker Cook Book in this blog before. One of the recipes from this wonderful book that my family always requests is Pioneer Macaroni and Cheese.
It is not a creamy mac and cheese (although the cook book does give a creamy variation of the recipe). It is more like a noodle custard that is absolutely yummy!
The ingredients are noodles, cheese, eggs, milk, butter and salt and pepper. What could be simpler than that?
Here are these simple ingredients ready to be combined and then baked. You can see this most useful of cook books in the background.
After being combined and baked for about 1 hour, here is what you get.
It is as scrumptious as it looks.
Here is the basic recipe.
Boil 12 oz. of pasta (your choice of type) I used bow-tie this time, but I have used ziti, elbow, whatever I have on hand. While pasta is boiling, cube up 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese into 1 inch cubes. Combine 2 eggs, 3 cups of milk and salt and pepper to taste. Once the pasta is cooked and drained combine it with the cheese in a large baking dish. Pour the milk and egg mixture over all. Dot the top with about a tablespoon of butter. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour. It takes an hour in my oven.
Try this simple, wonderful, comfort food with a salad for dinner soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment